Sunday, August 3, 2008

ARMSTRONG WANNABES


Yesterday, Will and I set out to buy mountain bikes. We went to a professional cycle shop first, where we were given loads of information about what size bikes we needed, maintenance, cost, etc. The cheapest bike they had for us was $350. That was more than we wanted to invest for a first bike. Our goal was to buy some cheaper bikes, test out the trails, and make sure we were really going to stick to this.

So, we headed over to Wal-Mart. They didn’t have any bikes for our height. We went to Target next and found two in our size. Because I am only 5’4”, my bike literally looks like a kid one. It is so little and reminds me of a smaller version of what Pee-Wee Herman would ride. It is a pink Schwinn. It was $169, which is also more than we wanted to pay, but Will’s bike was on sale for $84 so we felt like we got a good deal.

Will got a mirror to go on his so he can keep track of me while we ride, which I think is pretty funny. We got out and tested them in our subdivision last night. I had great difficulty with the gear thing. I don’t want to have to change gears! But, when you go up hills, it is a must. I am going to have to get Will to give me another lesson before we go out again. We are planning to try some simple trails this evening that the bike shop told us about and see how we do. It should be very interesting.

No comments: