Monday, September 8, 2008

I DIDN'T MEAN TO, HONEST!

On my way home from school today, I noticed a state trooper behind me. I did what every person would do and slowed down to the exact speed limit. We stopped at a red light and I noticed he was still right behind me. After that, my memory is blurred because the next thing I knew he had his blue lights on.

I got over in the right lane and wondered who he caught for speeding and how he knew they were speeding since he couldn't really see around me. But, he didn't go around me. He followed me! I pulled over, but still doubted it was me he was after.

He came to the window and the first thing he did was ask me why I have a Gamecock steering wheel cover but have a Clemson hitch cover. I mumbled something about going to USC and then just stared at him like he had lost his mind. I couldn't even figure out how to explain the Clemson hitch cover because I was in some kind of shock.

Then he asked me why I was in such a hurry. I mumbled something about being in class for 5 hours and I must have been thining about the lecture material, but didn't really know. Duh! It was then that he told me I "took off from the redlight at 58 miles an hour in a 45 mile per hour zone."

Ok, first of all I don't even think that is possible. I love my Jeep but I am pretty confident that it doesn't do 0-58 in 5 seconds. I started babbling that I knew he was behind me and I was trying to stay at the exact speed limit. He gave me a look and then I realized how that sounded! Then, I grabbed his hand on instint and said, "No, no, no! I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't have been watching my speed if you weren't behind me!"

Just for the record, I think it is a really dumb move to grab a state troopers hand. I am pretty sure they don't like people touching them. But, he just said ok and then went to research my record. I got a speeding ticket a few months ago that I kind of deserved, but that's another story. So, I figured that I would get another ticket for sure.

When he handed me a warning, I started babbling again about not meaning to speed! I don't know why I thought I needed to add more detail since he had already let me off with a warning! I don't know what was wrong with me. I guess I was just in shock about the whole deal. One thing I learned is that I can go from calm and collected to total babbling idiot in 5 seconds flat!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I laughed so hard I cried. Only because I've been there but I turn the wrong way down a one way street and almost hit the cop head on. Luckily I was in Atlanta with a SC license and didn't get a ticket or warning just a "pay closer attention next time".